In this episode, Nathan and Mark discuss:
- The landscape of residential real estate and the ever-increasing demand for homes despite low inventory and high interest rates.
- Recent lawsuits against the National Association of Realtors and what it means for real estate professionals and homebuyers.
- Building businesses and taking risks, particularly in situations where your back is against the wall.
- The real estate business is constantly changing, now more than ever we are seeing low inventory, shifting brokerage practices and constant market fluctuation trying to catch up with increasing demand.
- Entrepreneurial ventures take time, patience and risk taking. The best lessons in life aren’t through education, but in living through experiences and learning from them.
- Investing in yourself can be the most powerful way to impact your life. Avoiding lifestyle creeps and reinvesting in things that can pay you back in the long run is of great value.
“One of lessons that I learned from the guy that recruited me into the business… when you close a deal, take 25% of your commission and somehow get it into the real estate business.” — Mark McLaughlin.
About Mark McLaughlin: A visionary leader in the real estate industry for more than 20 years, Mark McLaughlin’s success is founded in collaboration, early adoption of technology applications, open communication and a keen emphasis on fact-based decisions. He has been highly effective in building dynamic organizations and developing successful business partnerships by establishing clear, measurable objectives for his team and clients. McLaughlin personally directs key strategic initiatives with intense passion and draws on various experiences to achieve elite performance.
By the time Compass had acquired Pacific Union in 2018, McLaughlin had grown the San Francisco-based brokerage’s sales volume from $2.2 billion in 2009 to more than $14 billion, ranking as the 5th-largest residential real estate brokerage in the US. At mid-year 2020 the business was on pace for $20 billion in sales volume in 2021.
McLaughlin has been at the forefront of industry innovations by enabling his real estate professionals to have a voice in which marketing and educational programs allow them to best serve their clients and grow their businesses. These initiatives have shaped his companies’ service offerings and put cutting edge tools in the hands of every team member to better serve their clientele. McLaughlin was named San Francisco Business Times top CEO in 2017, was honored as RISMedia CEO of the year in 2013 and has been consistently recognized by Inman News and the T3 Swanepoel rankings as one of the top 10 most influential industry executives. Under his leadership, Pacific Union International was named Christie’s International Real Estate Affiliate of the Year, in 2013, and Top Real Estate firm in the world by the International Properties Awards in London in 2018.
Connect with Mark McLaughlin:
- LinkedIn: Mark A McLaughlin | LinkedIn
- Website: McLaughlin Ventures | Mark McLaughlin (mclaughlin-ventures.com)
Connect with Nathan Mersereau:
- Phone: 248-645-1520
- Website: www.dayinacanoe.com
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @NathanMersereau
- LinkedIn: Nathan Mersereau
Address: 255 S Old Woodward, Suite 310
Birmingham, MI 48009