In this episode, Nathan and Brian Gast discuss:
- Why people don’t find fulfillment when they are living in success
- Learning from failures and blowups
- Taking an honest inventory
- Seeing the deeper need
- Happiness and fulfillment is an inside job. You can’t buy your way into it, it’s not something that has to happen externally, fulfillment is cultivated within.
- As you grow older, you stop learning from success and start learning more from failure. For some people, it takes a few blowups to realize their blindspots. Are you going to wait for that blowup before you sit down with someone and figure out yours?
- Take an honest inventory of what really is going on. Try it yourself, but if you have someone you can trust who will tell you your blindspots with brutal honesty, even better.
- Success, money and fame are not often what people really want when they say they want them, but there’s a deeper need behind each that has to be fulfilled in order for the person to feel truly happy.
“Humans actually are lousy predictors of what will make them happy… It’s an inside job, the nature of fulfillment is.” — Brian Gast
About Brian Gast: He is a Former CEO who managed three fast-growing Telecommunication companies and then he became an executive coach who’s a certified forum facilitator for YPO. He has a Master’s in Business Administration and his focus is in helping people find their purpose and potential. He has a book called, “The Business of Wanting More: Why Some Executives Move from Success to Fulfillment and Others Don’t”.
Connect with Brian Gast:
Website: http://www.briangast.com/ or https://quadrantinternational.net
Connect with Nathan Mersereau:
LinkedIn: Nathan Mersereau
Address: 36800 Woodward Avenue, Suite 200, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304