In this episode, Nathan and Rod discuss:
- Qualities needed for excellent reporting
- Being right versus being first
- Helping people understand personal finance
- Realizing it’s not about what happens to you, it’s about how you respond
- Curiosity, a willingness to listen and perseverance are characteristics of a great reporter. You can never underestimate the importance of listening.
- Know the role that you’re in, know what you’re great at, know what energizes you, know how to manage your time and effectiveness, and do the thing that you love.
- Speed isn’t always good. It’s better to be right than to be first. However, if you want to be the best, then strive to be right and be first.
- Whoever you are and whatever you choose to do in life, you will face adversity. Embracing adversity and persevering through it is what brings growth in character and in skill.
“You have to have perseverance. Even if things start going south on you, or you’re not finding what you’re looking for, you keep looking, you keep pressing, you keep going…” — Rod Meloni
About Rod Meloni: Rod Meloni is an Emmy Award-winning Business Editor on Local 4 News and Certified Financial Planner™ Professional.
Rod joined WDIV-TV News in October 1995 and has become an expert in bankruptcy and business and municipal turnaround efforts after spending years leading Local 4’s coverage of the automotive industry meltdown and the financial difficulties of the City of Detroit and Wayne County. As Business Editor he has also won the International Wheel Award for excellence in Automotive Journalism. One of his goals was to be able to explain business and personal finance authoritatively to anyone.
To that end, he became the first ever working journalist in the nation to pass the extremely difficult Certified Financial Planner™ Professional exam and then go on to attain Certified Financial Planner™ status. Rod is a board member of the Automotive Press Association in Detroit and also sits on the Board of the Oakland University Center for Business Excellence.
Connect with Rod Meloni:
Connect with Nathan Mersereau:
LinkedIn: Nathan Mersereau
Address: 255 S Old Woodward Avenue, Suite 310
Birmingham, MI 48009
Show notes by Podcastologist: Justine Talla
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.